Step It Up-Frederick is Frederick, Maryland’s instance of the national Step It Up 2007 rally. The goal of Step It Up 2007 is to urge the U.S. Congress to take action to reduce carbon emissions by 80% by the year 2050. Step It Up’s leaders are organizing hundreds (soon to be thousands?) of rallies across the country on April 14, 2007 all in support of that goal. Photos and video of all the various events will be consolidated on the national website as a showcase to our political leaders of all of the support for action on climate change.
Step It Up-Frederick is a great way to make a difference on global warming by simply participating in a one-hour Saturday afternoon event!
To see more about Step It Up on the national level, please go to their website.
Step It Up-Frederick will occur on April 14 at 2:30pm. It will take the forum of a short bike parade through downtown Frederick followed by a rally with some speakers and music. Then we Some more facts:
- The Bike parade will start at 2:30pm at Parkway Elementary School.
- The Bike parade will wind through downtown and end at the Ampitheater on Carrol Creek.
- Bike parade participants are encouraged to decorate their bikes as a form of alternative energy: sun, wind, corn, etc. (or whatever seems fun and appropriate to you).
- At the Amphitheater we will then have a short rally with a speaker or two and some music (we’re still looking for speakers and music, so please let us know if you’re interested).
- Following the rally on the creek, Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” presentation will be given in the C. Burr Artz Library by Hannah Poffenbarger.
In addition to the national goals, Step It Up-Frederick has some local goals specific to our region as well.